Skip to main content

Week 1 "This Is Water" video reflection

    At the beginning of the video my curiosity was sparked and I wondered how the goldfish analogy would be translated into a real world scenario. As I continued to listen to the speaker talk over music in the background while watching the goldfish swimming through the screen, I began to reminisce about the movie "What about Bob" and his pet goldfish "Gil". Two characters that have a similar parallel to the points made by David Foster Wallace. Bob and Gil are both trapped in their own space facing the same mundane realities until an awakening of sorts was performed. Not until then was Bob able to be happy with where he was.

    Then the first few minutes of the video passed I realized that the shift in the analogy actually moved towards another Bill Murray classic, Groundhog Day. A story which has a similar but different narrative where "Phil Connors" is stuck in a constant daily repetition and is only able to escape after he becomes a good person, less selfish, finally realizes his own worth and the world does not revolve around him.

   The narrative that he is speaking is not unique to one individual, we all get trapped in a cycle from time to time and everyone has their own story. The ability to be aware of your own judgments and annoyances at times can be unique. I like many people in the year 2020 have been faced with shifting timelines or stories, some days seeming more mundane than others. The most important thing to take away is that I can look at the bright side of the changes that have occured. I have been able to spend more time with my kids and wife than I would ever thought possible, and I am fortunate for every moment.

 

Family and I
family and I
Having the awareness to make a conscious decision on what has meaning is more important this year than any, no matter how you were affected by the societal changes that have occured. This is a concept that Bill Murray's characters have been able to figure out, be kind and be present where you are.


    

Comments

  1. I'm guessing that you are majoring in Journalist, It's so well written. I like how you used current situation to reflect the author's point of view. Also I like the cute family picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these connections you're making, Pat! Yes to Groundhog Day (and, really, most of Bill Murray's cinematic work centers on this lonely, highly-aware but conflicted character).

    What a wonderfully reflective post. I love to see students making these connections!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Photo reflection- The Ongoing Road

My son overlooking passing boats  on the St. James river, MI 8.2020      Throughout my life, road trips have held a very high level of importance to me. Whether it was a weekend trip to the mountains, an early morning drive to Disneyland, or a month-long trip dragging our camper around as many National Parks west of the Mississippi. By the time I was a teenager, no destination in the Western United States was too far. This is a passion which my parents have passed onto me and I hope my kids share the same appreciation for the road.   Gordes, France     In my adult life, road trips have continued to be my favorite method of travel. Over the last ten years I have driven the entire United States as well as portions of Canada, France and Italy. I was even lucky enough to find someone who shares my love for a good road trip. When we got married, we made sure to include a three-hour road trip from the nearest airport to the ceremony and every guest came away with an unforgettable story of th

Documentary Project- Human Flow

  Human Flow by Ai Weiwei       Human Flow is a documentary that combines information, experiences and powerful imagery to create an intimate understanding of the human refugee crisis going on around the world. Director Ai Weiwei included all the sights and sounds of a refugee’s day to day routine, as well as, information on how they were being affected by the decisions of the governments they were relying on. 1. Was there a specific scene that got to you? Describe and explain how it moved you (Angry? Curious? Delighted? Motivated?). Give a lot of detail, and really dive in to how it affected you. Don’t hold back.     There was a scene about halfway through the movie right as you are understanding the tone of the film where the director Ai Weiwei is receiving a haircut from a refugee at one of the camps. The camera is on his face from the neck up and you see his eyes panning toward the camera as the sheers his hair. At this moment you really feel that this film

Powers of Persuasion

           The video “Mr. Rogers and the Power of Persuasion” describes the powers of persuasion using description, imagery, and proof throughout history. In the video, the narrator does a great job of breaking down Mr. Rogers's argument to the U.S. Senate and how he harnesses these powers. He makes it really easy to understand. The video draws conclusions of how each of the powers of persuasion assists in getting someone on your side. I liked how it broke down how great speakers overtime effectively uses all of the powers to get the listener to listen and hopefully understand your view. If there was anything I would change, it might be how quickly the video moves through major topics. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and do not think of myself as a good speaker. I was shown through this video that ethos, pathos, and logos could effectively help in just about all areas of professional and personal life. This video helped convince me that if I structure my tho