Skip to main content

Dusk to Dawn

Wasatch Mountain Range, Utah
Wasatch Mountain Range, Utah
 

    What first comes to mind when looking at this image in the context of the phrase written with an unstructured font over it, is a feeling of nostalgia. I find myself reminded of the backpacking trips I would go on yearly. I would go on an approximately ten-mile hike in the Wasatch Mountains of Northern Utah just outside Salt Lake City. The Wasatch mountains are known for their aesthetics and also their common mountain lion sightings. The distance and elevation change while carrying a 50-pound pack was not the challenging part, what ended up usually being the most rewarding part of the trip was being all alone in the woods with your thoughts.

 

    The preparation for the trip was meticulous: The tickets were booked, the rental car was reserved, the tent was all prepped and looked over for damage, the food rations and cooking supplies were all confirmed. Every contingent needed to be prepared for whether it was to find water while in the backcountry, the possible inclement weather, or the potential for handling an emergency if necessary. After it was said and done once you are at the trailhead facing the unknown on your own. The hikes where I decided to set up camp typically went without any problems aside from the physical challenges, everything around was rewarding. The sights, smells, and sounds were all beneficial to creating a calm that is lacking in the lives of many.

Gear prepped for backpacking trip

    After camp was set up and dinner was cooked, I would always hike to a higher location to get an unobstructed view of the sunset before heading to bed for the night. The sun setting over a mountain range from a high vantage point will always be worth a little extra effort to see. The difficulty always lies after the sun sets. As the phrase over the image states, "this is the part where you find out who you are”. Everything becomes more challenging; your mind starts running and every sense is heightened while there is a seemingly prevalent silence. With your pathway lit only by the moon or your headlamp, sometimes with a 1000-foot cliff within reach of a missed step, at other times without a trail to follow, you need to focus on what is in front of you before you focus on what you heard in the distance. Luckily, I always made it back to camp, but this usually does not come with complete peace of mind. Some nights were less stressful than others, but every night was met with concerning noises in a territory that is not mine. Over time, I am able to become comfortable with being another creature in the woods and accept the fact that dangerous encounters are likely to occur. In my mind, they are worth the reward of a solitary sunrise that was to come in the morning.

Ascending Pfeifferhorn, Wasatch Mountains, Utah

    I will always look back at this time in my life as rewarding and truly challenging what today’s society does not always embrace, the strength of being truly alone. As I have grown older, I realize that these trips may never occur again, and I can’t wait to introduce my sons to backpacking so they can one day reap the rewards of self-reliance. 

    With the end of the semester quickly approaching, the sunset is on the horizon. After the sunsets, there are bound to be further challenges that life will throw our way. The dusk brings the most difficult hours, but in the end, when the sun rises will all be stronger among the lessons we have learned through our struggles. We will all be stronger because we’ve prepared for the warmth of the sunrise while enduring the challenges when the sun is set.




A welcomed sunrise over the Wasatch Range


Comments

  1. Hello Pat,

    Your article was not only easy to read but pleasant to the eyes by the way you displayed your pictures throughout as well as your use of white space.

    The title was simple and your writing took me on an adventure. I could visualize your experience. I agree with your idea of how society does not embrace solitude as it seems to embrace a lot of busyness.

    I also embrace the strength of being truly alone. I have been wanting a 24 hour period of alone time for awhile as I am in a season of never being alone and instead pouring out to the point of being depleted. Your writing prompted me to think of scheduling some alone time very soon as I know this could be life giving to me.

    When you wrote, "dusk brings difficult hours" but "when the sun rises will be stronger along the lessons through our struggles" -- this gave me a boost of hope and I was able to relate. Your ending was beautifully written as it circled back to the beginning.

    Have you ever published your writing? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and I am glad to hear that I was able to extend a boost of hope your way! Everyone needs a little boost of hope these days, keep hanging in there.

      I have not ever published any writing, but something to keep in mind as life keeps evolving. Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Photo reflection- The Ongoing Road

My son overlooking passing boats  on the St. James river, MI 8.2020      Throughout my life, road trips have held a very high level of importance to me. Whether it was a weekend trip to the mountains, an early morning drive to Disneyland, or a month-long trip dragging our camper around as many National Parks west of the Mississippi. By the time I was a teenager, no destination in the Western United States was too far. This is a passion which my parents have passed onto me and I hope my kids share the same appreciation for the road.   Gordes, France     In my adult life, road trips have continued to be my favorite method of travel. Over the last ten years I have driven the entire United States as well as portions of Canada, France and Italy. I was even lucky enough to find someone who shares my love for a good road trip. When we got married, we made sure to include a three-hour road trip from the nearest airport to the ceremony and every guest came away with an unforgettable story of th

Documentary Project- Human Flow

  Human Flow by Ai Weiwei       Human Flow is a documentary that combines information, experiences and powerful imagery to create an intimate understanding of the human refugee crisis going on around the world. Director Ai Weiwei included all the sights and sounds of a refugee’s day to day routine, as well as, information on how they were being affected by the decisions of the governments they were relying on. 1. Was there a specific scene that got to you? Describe and explain how it moved you (Angry? Curious? Delighted? Motivated?). Give a lot of detail, and really dive in to how it affected you. Don’t hold back.     There was a scene about halfway through the movie right as you are understanding the tone of the film where the director Ai Weiwei is receiving a haircut from a refugee at one of the camps. The camera is on his face from the neck up and you see his eyes panning toward the camera as the sheers his hair. At this moment you really feel that this film

Powers of Persuasion

           The video “Mr. Rogers and the Power of Persuasion” describes the powers of persuasion using description, imagery, and proof throughout history. In the video, the narrator does a great job of breaking down Mr. Rogers's argument to the U.S. Senate and how he harnesses these powers. He makes it really easy to understand. The video draws conclusions of how each of the powers of persuasion assists in getting someone on your side. I liked how it broke down how great speakers overtime effectively uses all of the powers to get the listener to listen and hopefully understand your view. If there was anything I would change, it might be how quickly the video moves through major topics. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and do not think of myself as a good speaker. I was shown through this video that ethos, pathos, and logos could effectively help in just about all areas of professional and personal life. This video helped convince me that if I structure my tho