Skip to main content

Documentary Project- Human Flow

 

Human Flow by Ai Weiwei
 

    Human Flow is a documentary that combines information, experiences and powerful imagery to create an intimate understanding of the human refugee crisis going on around the world. Director Ai Weiwei included all the sights and sounds of a refugee’s day to day routine, as well as, information on how they were being affected by the decisions of the governments they were relying on.

1. Was there a specific scene that got to you? Describe and explain how it moved you (Angry? Curious? Delighted? Motivated?). Give a lot of detail, and really dive in to how it affected you. Don’t hold back.

    There was a scene about halfway through the movie right as you are understanding the tone of the film where the director Ai Weiwei is receiving a haircut from a refugee at one of the camps. The camera is on his face from the neck up and you see his eyes panning toward the camera as the sheers his hair. At this moment you really feel that this film was not just meant to be informational, but also a topic close to the director. At this moment I began seeing how much he respected and cared for these people. He cares about them not because of the conditions of where they are, but who they are and what their story entails.

2. What surprised you?   

    The way that the host countries received the refugees surprised me. These are entire groups of people who did not have another option but to flee their war-torn countries. They are finally in a better place after the trek that they have made but now they are fighting new battles trying to survive. We are all human. There are groups which are helping them get to a place where they can have basic human needs but unless they are accepted by a host nation with open arms, their quality of life will not improve. You never know what that kid in the refugee camp will one day be if nurtured properly. They could possibly the pride of your nation.

3. What questions remain after the viewing? What feelings stayed with you after the film? Did they “pop up” in your life in unexpected ways? When? How? What was that like?

    I am curious about what has changed since the documentary was released. Have refugee numbers increased or decreased. Are the conditions they are being held any better or are they being accepted by any host countries. I am aware of a large refugee camp which caught fire in recent news which I want to research more about. This is a topic that I think we are mostly shielded from, which is potentially only exacerbating the problem.

    Although this topic may not have a happy ending any time soon, I am looking forward to researching the current status of the refugee crisis and hopefully finding ways in which I could help support the groups assisting in their transitions. If anything, this documentary has opened my eyes to a crisis I am unfamiliar with. It has allowed me to be a little humbler and understanding of other people’s stories and listening with an open mind to their unique chapter.

Comments

  1. Pat, I immediately noticed your consistency and visually appealing posts that are incredible organized and easy to read and navigate.

    I like how you noticed that the film showed the caring nature of the director as he not only cares about the conditions the refugees are living in but also who they are and the respect he has for them.

    It sound like you are already inspired to be a better person for what you know...I love how films inspire change and perspective in our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you note, "At this moment you really feel that this film was not just meant to be informational, but also a topic close to the director. At this moment I began seeing how much he respected and cared for these people. He cares about them not because of the conditions of where they are, but who they are and what their story entails." That does stand out! As a dissident Chinese artist who has been forced by the government to live under house arrest (and receive beatings), he feels for the displaced. It is a VERY moving scene. Nice call out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Photo reflection- The Ongoing Road

My son overlooking passing boats  on the St. James river, MI 8.2020      Throughout my life, road trips have held a very high level of importance to me. Whether it was a weekend trip to the mountains, an early morning drive to Disneyland, or a month-long trip dragging our camper around as many National Parks west of the Mississippi. By the time I was a teenager, no destination in the Western United States was too far. This is a passion which my parents have passed onto me and I hope my kids share the same appreciation for the road.   Gordes, France     In my adult life, road trips have continued to be my favorite method of travel. Over the last ten years I have driven the entire United States as well as portions of Canada, France and Italy. I was even lucky enough to find someone who shares my love for a good road trip. When we got married, we made sure to include a three-hour road trip from the nearest airport to the ceremony and every guest came away with an unforgettable story of th

Powers of Persuasion

           The video “Mr. Rogers and the Power of Persuasion” describes the powers of persuasion using description, imagery, and proof throughout history. In the video, the narrator does a great job of breaking down Mr. Rogers's argument to the U.S. Senate and how he harnesses these powers. He makes it really easy to understand. The video draws conclusions of how each of the powers of persuasion assists in getting someone on your side. I liked how it broke down how great speakers overtime effectively uses all of the powers to get the listener to listen and hopefully understand your view. If there was anything I would change, it might be how quickly the video moves through major topics. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and do not think of myself as a good speaker. I was shown through this video that ethos, pathos, and logos could effectively help in just about all areas of professional and personal life. This video helped convince me that if I structure my tho