Skip to main content

Photo reflection- The Ongoing Road


My son overlooking passing boats on the St. James river, MI 8.2020


    Throughout my life, road trips have held a very high level of importance to me. Whether it was a weekend trip to the mountains, an early morning drive to Disneyland, or a month-long trip dragging our camper around as many National Parks west of the Mississippi. By the time I was a teenager, no destination in the Western United States was too far. This is a passion which my parents have passed onto me and I hope my kids share the same appreciation for the road.
 

Gordes, France
   In my adult life, road trips have continued to be my favorite method of travel. Over the last ten years I have driven the entire United States as well as portions of Canada, France and Italy. I was even lucky enough to find someone who shares my love for a good road trip. When we got married, we made sure to include a three-hour road trip from the nearest airport to the ceremony and every guest came away with an unforgettable story of their travels. When they arrived that weekend, they were greeted with breathtaking sights, and when they left, they had bonded with strangers who had a tale of their own.
 
    A year later my wife and I welcomed our first child and after he turned one, we decided to return to where we were married for his first road trip. It was a challenge. We had to fly with more luggage than we were used to, a stroller, car seat and then hit the road for another four hours of travel. Our son handled it just I as always imagined he would, and we even found an appreciation for something new: a scenic roadside picnic. Along the routes we picnicked atop coastal cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean, in the Redwood Forests and even in a random parking lot. I didn't want it to ever end, my road trip family is all I could ever dream of and more.

            Roadside picnic. Duncans Cove, CA

   Fast forward another year, and we are looking forward to inviting our second son into our family. He surely is going to be another road warrior but there is only one obstacle in the way, 2020. We were fortunate to have him during the early stages of the COVID 19 pandemic, there were no hospital restrictions set in place yet and we had a happy healthy boy. When we arrived home and settled into life with two kids under the age of two everything seemed as it should be, hectic but full of love. Life briefly returned to normal until the country shut down due to the pandemic. All of a sudden, we had more time than ever and after about a month of locking down in our home, the road started calling again. We planned out our second sons first road trip, and it was just under a full tank of gas away, to a town in Northern Michigan.

    Petoskey is a place we're familiar with. It is a place of astonishing beauty that we can safely maneuver around, adventure away from others and there is a family cottage nearby where we can quarantine ourselves off from the world. We planned two stops along the way for picnics which had three necessities. The first was that there could be no one around, the second being the location needed to be close to the interstate and the third, it couldn't be in a random parking lot. Our second son handled the road trip like a champion, better than our first son. We found one of our favorite picnic sites in the Midwest, where our sons can watch the boats cruise by on the river while we're eating. One theme continues to outlast all of the curve balls life can throw at us, and road trips will continue to be of utmost importance to our ever-evolving family: especially if there is a good picnic spot along the way.


Petoskey
Petoskey, MI








Comments

  1. I am happy to hear that your family is happy and healthy during this unprecedented time. It was very enjoyable to read about your connection to adventure and exploration of nature. I am sure your children will look back on your pandemic road trip as something truly special. Thank you for sharing your photos and hear warming stories of family love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely photos! As Terence points out, I'm also glad your fam is doing well!! Truly a wonderful share!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Documentary Project- Human Flow

  Human Flow by Ai Weiwei       Human Flow is a documentary that combines information, experiences and powerful imagery to create an intimate understanding of the human refugee crisis going on around the world. Director Ai Weiwei included all the sights and sounds of a refugee’s day to day routine, as well as, information on how they were being affected by the decisions of the governments they were relying on. 1. Was there a specific scene that got to you? Describe and explain how it moved you (Angry? Curious? Delighted? Motivated?). Give a lot of detail, and really dive in to how it affected you. Don’t hold back.     There was a scene about halfway through the movie right as you are understanding the tone of the film where the director Ai Weiwei is receiving a haircut from a refugee at one of the camps. The camera is on his face from the neck up and you see his eyes panning toward the camera as the sheers his hair. At this moment you really feel that this film

Powers of Persuasion

           The video “Mr. Rogers and the Power of Persuasion” describes the powers of persuasion using description, imagery, and proof throughout history. In the video, the narrator does a great job of breaking down Mr. Rogers's argument to the U.S. Senate and how he harnesses these powers. He makes it really easy to understand. The video draws conclusions of how each of the powers of persuasion assists in getting someone on your side. I liked how it broke down how great speakers overtime effectively uses all of the powers to get the listener to listen and hopefully understand your view. If there was anything I would change, it might be how quickly the video moves through major topics. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and do not think of myself as a good speaker. I was shown through this video that ethos, pathos, and logos could effectively help in just about all areas of professional and personal life. This video helped convince me that if I structure my tho